6/14/10

Little Woo Pattern Testing

I was fortunate enough to have been selected to test a new pattern for Karen and Shelly at Patterns by Figgy's.  Little Woo is a swingy cardigan, and my first real attempt at sewing with knits.  Oh, I've used it a few times, but not for an entire garment.  First I read a post on their website by Kelly Hogaboom about sewing with knits.  Though I didn't use the liquid stabilizer that she did, it was helpful beyond belief.

I chose to make the smallest size, and picked fabrics I had in my stash.  A bit of a pink Moda with yellow turtles paired with the only knit I had...some pink jersey sheets (super thin...that worried me), that I got on the clearance rack at Target ages ago that I use to make gift bags.

The instructions were very thorough and easy to follow, going so far as to give you stitch type, width, and length.  The whole project would have taken me an hour or so if not for having to break up 2 fights, get Oliver a snack every 5 minutes, fix a boo-boo, and retrieve Linus from inside the neighbor's car.

The only thing I did differently is the neckline, and I wish I hadn't.  Once I got the woven sewn on,  raw edge to raw edge and pressed it up, I was worried that it wouldn't sit flat and that the knit would bunch up when I trid to top-stitch it down.  So I top-stitched close to the top edge first, then stitched the bottom edge down.  Despite having a little bunching anyway, once I ironed and worked it out a little, it sat nicely, and I realized it probably would have done so without the extra top-stitching.  Lesson learned!

I opted for hair elastics rather than fabric for the loop closures, and put them a little off the mark (by accident).  I left the bottom and sleeves un-hemmed, and may go back and finish them.  I have a few other ideas for "kicking it up a notch", but have a custom order to finish, so it will have to wait for another day.

I'm excited about the possibilites with this pattern, and am relieved that I've overcome (somewhat) my fear of sewing with knits.  Now...how to scale the pattern to make one for myself...I wish I were that good!

No comments: