7/15/10

Figgy's Beach Bum Hoodie - A Tutorial on Making it Reversible

It's no secret I love this pattern,  love this hoodie (so do my boys).  But I struggle with the facing and getting it "just right".  When I was talking with Karen at Patterns by Figgy's about my frustration she suggested leaving it out, or lining it.  I immediately thought...if I can line it...I can make it reversible!

I can see this in a cozy flannel/fleece combo for Fall, but since I was almost certain I would ruin my first attempt, I wanted to use something that was in my stash, and was cheap.  I chose these cotton/poly sheets because I had lots, it cost nothing, and on the off-chance that I didn't screw it up, it would match the "alien" outfit I made for  Linus this spring.

Here is the tutorial for turning 1 Beach Bum Hoodie into 2.

Start by cutting 2 of everything except the facing...you won't need it...can I hear a big "woo hoo"!

Press all the sleeve ends up 1/4" (wrong sides facing), and press the bottom of the front and  back pieces up 1/2" (wrong sides facing).  Doing this now will save lots of time and pinning later.

Follow the pattern instructions for creating the hoods, but don't sew them together...put them aside.

Follow the pattern instructions for attaching the front and back and yoke.  Attach sleeves, and sew side seams using 5/8" seam allowance.  No need for French (enclosed) seams as they will all be hidden inside.


Take 1 shirt, and the contrasting hood.  With shirt right side out, pin hood to shirt right sides together beginning in the back matching the back seam of the hood to the center back of shirt.  Sew using 3/8" seam allowance.
Repeat with shirt 2.

Now you should have 2 hoodies with raw edges around the neck, hood, sleeves and hem.  Press all the seams if you haven't already.



Turn one of the hoodies inside out, and place the other inside, pulling sleeves through so that right sides of the hoodies are together. 



Pin the hoodies together in the center front, pressing the seam allowances down with your fingers. Draw a line down the center 3" (I'm making a 2/3...this # will depend on the size your making, and the size of your little one's head).





Starting where the front point of the hood meets the shirt, stitch around the face of the hood using a 1/4" seam allowance.  When you get to the other front point of the hood, continue stitching down parallel to the 3" line, but 1/8" to the right or left of it (depending on which side you're on).  When you get to the bottom of the line, keep the needle down, pivot the fabric, stitch 1/4", pivot, and stitch up the other side of the 3" line, ending where you began at the point of the hood.



Cut the fabric down the 3" drawn line, and snip the bottom corners in.





Turn the hoodies right side out, and then wrong sides together.  Press the heck out of the hood face and the front slit, and whatever else needs pressing.

Finish the sleeve bottoms and hem by topstitching (now you see why you pressed these earlier). The1/4" seam allowance on the sleeve leaves a bit for rolling and showing the contrast.  Topstitch hood face and front slit.

The finished hoodie shown paired with the previously mentioned "alien" outfit...alien applique not visible.










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Terrific post! Thank you so much.
Karen and I were just talking about blogging the hoodies w/o the facing. lol

OneGirlCircus said...

Jill this is fabulous! Mind if we re-post over on our blog?

Heather said...

This is such a great idea! I had trouble with attaching the facing when I made this for my son but this is the perfect solution.