9/22/10

Dillinger Goes to School

My little Ollie was in need of some cool school pants. He has to wear a uniform, but prefers not to have to bother with a belt, button, zipper...etc. Finding elastic waist pants that are decent, and don't have beltloops (if there are loops, he has to wear a belt) is a challenge. I've been promising to make something for him, but working has prohibited me from sewing at all lately.

Anyhoo...I stayed home today, and made him a pair of Dapper Dillenger's from Pattern's by Figgy's. Aside from the fact that I made a 6/7 and probably should have made a 4/5, I think they are the most well-constructed garment I've made to date. The instructions were thorough and easy to follow, yet *really* pushed me technically.

I can't wait till he puts them on in the morning and feels how soft they are. I used a microfiber that I got at WalMart for under $3/yd. He hates "pockets that stick out", so I used scraps of bias tape to bind the edges and keep the pockets in place. I used all French seams because he's the sensitive type, and think the inside looks just as good as the outside(except the mis-matched bias tape).

If he comes home happy, having made bathroom breaks easier and shorter, then I've done my job! No 1st grader wants to spend 20 minutes messing with belts and such...there are bigger jobs to do.

I can't wait to try a pair for "play" and get funky with fabric choices!!!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Wonderful job! My son has three of these pants. They are so stylish and awesome. My kids vastly prefer pull-on pants to those with flys, etc.

Great work!